I am really enjoying every part of being in a different building with a new set of students, teachers, curriculum, and everything that encompasses. The only problem is that I have come to realize that I am often overzealous when it comes to things that I take on. The other teachers at my grade level have had a few years to "work into" the balancing act of juggling everything that we have at our grasp. Then there's me. Each day is another "first day." (I don't have any background on specific lessons - new content).
Right now, part of me is ready for the 19th. After all, my brother will be in town, Eli will have just turned two, his birthday party the following day, and Winter Break will be upon us. That means I only have 6 1/2 days of school. SIX AND A HALF!!!! Technically, that should read 6 days because this Friday is an early release. What's the problem you ask? Holy cow!!! I have too much to do! Yikes! When it is all going to play out?
As fourth graders, we study Washington State History/Geography/Cultures/Forests. The culminating project of the geography portion is creating releif maps. They are a lot of fun, but they are way more work than I thought they'd be! Today we finished painting the regions of the state, tomorrow we must add the Pacific Ocean and Idaho (paint). I won't get in too much detail, however I'll leave it at this: there's a lot remaining.
In addition to our relief maps, we're going to be making gingerbread houses. We're putting them together on Friday, THIS Friday, then decorating them on Monday. The nice thing is that here, parents are eager to help and have sent in heaps of candy for decorating and are making the royal icing (dries extremely hard, almost cement-like) and are sending bags of it in. The only problem, I've had more parents volunteer to send in candy than icing. What does that mean? I will have to make icing tomorrow night to take in. I don't mind making it at all, however 1 batch takes about 20 minutes of mixing time for it to set properly. Bummer.
Today it dawned on me that I hadn't even thought about parent gifts this year! (Yeah, how can that be?!?! OOPS!) Thankfully, I work with fabulous people and have an idea of what to do. I would give more details, however one of my student's parents reads my blog (hi Angela!) occasionally so I don't want to give away the juicy details. It's good though. It's also very different when the materials to use for gifts isn't just construction paper and tempera paint. Crazy thought!
Anyway, it is past my bedtime and I need to go hunt for clothes for tomorrow. Tomorrow afternoon we are going to Jess's boss's funeral and I am not prepared at all. I better get my hiney moving or I'll really be in trouble!
2 comments:
Sounds Busy! My work has allowed some time to help out at our local elementary school, so I've been fortunate enough to get to go there one a week to help teach fourth graders about simple machines. They're so much fun! The teacher I work with often tells me how it must be a shock to deal with so many kids at once, and I just tell her, I deal with kindergarteners at work every day, so fourth graders a piece of cake...
As long as you know who Hannah Montana is... of course. One girl last spring showed me an autographed picture of her, and I didn't know who it was. For the rest of the year, I was "the guy who doesn't know who Hannah Montana is!".
Don't you educate their children? Gift enough in my book! Good luck and keep breathing.
Post a Comment