I am thrilled that tomorrow is Friday. I can't believe this week is nearly over, it seems like it's just begun, and here we are wrapping it up. Today was one of those mediocre days where it starts out ok, you have an awful experience, then things just start piling up and leave you stressed to no end.
Today started with Field Day (or as I like to call it, Field Hour and a Half) and I got my 45 minute planning early, starting at 9:00. Then I got to referee several rounds of Dodgeball as the groups of students rotated through. It was fun seeing some of my old students, meeting new kids, and just having fun. However, the whole time I was doing this, I was thinking about the meeting I was to have at noon with one of my students' father. Not an overly thrilling meeting - in fact it made my blood boil at how unrealistic he was. Honestly, he made it out to sound like I didn't do anything to help his child, but I did. I did everything possible. Ugh...it still upsets me when I think about it.....
Anyway, there was a quick run through of maybe 1/4 of the meeting, but then the day kept going....I didn't get a lunch, it was completely taken up by this meeting. My students are extremely wound up because of the end of the year. We've been working on talking with a quiet voice and not yelling at each other, but that just isn't working. I don't know what it is, but these kids don't know how to talk to each other - no matter how many times we practice. They have 2 levels, loud and louder. Except of course it comes to sharing in front of the class then everything is a whisper. BIZARRE!
Which brings me to my monster list of things that I have to get done in the extremely near future. Ok, this list is probably more for me than you, but I HAVE to get it down.
1. Get Superstar list out for tomorrow's event.
2. Plan pizza party for 250(ish) students for Monday. Order Pizza.
3. Finish report cards.
4. Stuff report card envelopes.
5. End of year classroom inventory (which means I have to FIND the darn thing!)
6. Email move-up day letter to new principal for my new students!
7. Finish packing my classroom.
8. Unplug and clean mini-fridge at school.
9. Get end of school check-out form and go through that (all 23 steps!)
10. Talk to dad to see if he can help move stuff from Hilltop to Lake Wilderness/home
11. Talk to Fairwood Kinder Care about Eli leaving (yay summer!)
12. Talk to MV KC about Eli starting in the fall/checking out the center
13. Finish getting Spelling Bee stuff organized with Brigit for Monday
14. RELAX
15. Put note in student's cum file about behavior and plan from talking to dad
16. Figure out end of year awards (before Wed! Yikes)
17. Go to fabric store for special order blankets
18. Wash/shrink fabric so I can make said blankets
Ohhh....once school gets out, I also want to redo our upstairs bathroom. This will involve painting walls, refinishing cabinets, painting trim, and making a new shower curtain. High hopes, but I can do it! :) I just need to relax, let school things run their course, get out for the summer, and have some fun!
We got a toddler bed for Eli today. It's in the back of my parent's pickup right now. Once it's set up in his room, we'll take pictures and post those. It will be SO stinkin cute!
2 comments:
We as teachers never do enough. I thought you would know that by now! ;) End of the year stuff can definitely get crazy. I feel your pain! Hopefully things will be a little smoother at your new school. Hang in there! It's almost over!!! Yeah!!!! :)
I do not teach but I coached cheerleaders at the school I worked at and I totally feel your pain. A mother compared me to Hitler one time. And she was being serious. She couldn't come to terms with the FACT that her daughter went to a sex store in her school uniform I and brought back "items" for freshman cheerleaders. She told me I was too young to do the job, had too many other things on my plate and couldn't handle all of it well ... amongst many other personal jabs. That was a terrible day and I felt completely beat up. I learned that day what a thick skin teachers have to have. Thick skins and huge hearts. :)
Post a Comment