Saturday, May 10, 2008

Blankets, Blankets, and More Blankets

For those of you that don't know, I started my own business back in February. I have my business license and everything. It's still pretty amazing to me, but that's the way it goes. SnugglyWink Enterprises, although right now I'm selling as SnugglyWink Blankets because that's all I've done so far. I've thought about adding on personalized lunch bags, but haven't quite gotten that far yet. I need to do a little research on good fabrics and what not. I'd like them to be waterproof, etc, so I have some work to do before I dive into that. Maybe this summer....

Anyway, the more I work on these blankets, the better they get. I haven't done one yet that I don't like - I guess that's a good thing. It would be pretty sad to make something I don't like, that really defeats the purpose! I was on a pretty quiet stretch there for a bit, making a blanket every once in a while, then Cheryle asked me to make a Corvette themed blanket for Jess's dad. Of course I took her up on it! I have been wanting to move on and add adult lap blankets to my list, just hadn't done that yet. After searching for a "manly" fabric combination, and spending several days searching embroidery designs online, I finally found what we were looking for. I made him a really neat C6 themed blanket (the model he has), I was getting ready to do the embroidery when....pause for dramatic purposes...my embroidering machine quit working! I couldn't believe it - and I was fuming! I had only had the thing a few short months, there was no reason it should be dead! After contacting the warranty company, they were shipping a new one! As luck has it, they lost our address, and it still isn't here. Hopefully Monday or Tuesday. Thankfully, my wonderful Mom has the same machine so I borrowed hers to finish Glenn's blanket.

Of course while my machine has been inoperable, I have been getting orders left and right. I don't know what I would have done had Mom not let me borrow her machine. I finished an order off my etsy site tonight, after yet another round of technical difficulties. I had light green flannel to go with golf print flannel, but when I embroidered it, the fabric separated and looked awful! There was no way I was going to send something like that to someone. So I ran to the fabric store and lo and behold, they had NOTHING in a flannel to substitute. Instead, I went with a light green fleece and WOW! This blanket turned out great! I am really impressed with the flannel/fleece combination. Talk about a snuggly blanket! :)

I still have a couple to go. I have two for a good friend, one for one of my students (isn't it cute that one bought one?!) , and another friend from school is waiting for fabric to get to her that she ordered online for me to make her a blanket. :) HAHA I love it!

Well, here are a few of my most recent blankets. If you have ideas for something you think people might like, let me know, I'm always looking for new ideas.




1 comment:

McMahan family said...

So I'm commenting nearly all of your posts tonight. :) I LOVE your blankets! I'm so impressed that you've got your own business, too. James and I have been talking about our ideas for a business and you're inspiring me to get moving on our plans.